Bed-ridden 85-year-old lights cigarette, dies in fire



Daily Thanthi


CHENNAI: An 85-year-old man was burnt to death after his bed caught on fire when he attempted to light a cigarette while being restricted to his bed due to a fracture, in Selaiyur on Sunday night. The deceased person was identified as Muniyan of Selaiyur, a retired electrician who was living with his wife Vijayalakshmi (78). A few days ago Muniyan’s leg was fractured in an accident and doctors advised him to remain in complete bedrest. On Sunday night, while lying on the bed Muniyan took a matchbox and tried to light a cigarette. The match stick reportedly fell on the foam bed, which caught on fire immediately and went up in flames. However, being injured, Muniyan could not move away and screamed for help. Hearing his cries, his wife Vijayalakshmi and others rushed to the room. The neighbours too came in and managed to douse the fire. Muniyan was rushed to the Chromepet GH but the doctors there declared him dead. The Selaiyur police sent the body for post-mortem examination. The police have registered a case and further investigation is on.